Tuesday, November 21, 2006

superfund site

I promised to blog on the trees in my next post, but I don't have the pictures yet. I guess I lied. Sorry.

Yesterday I met our GC, Slater. He's great and we are lucky to have him. We talked about some things we could do, and he told us to go ahead and do some more demolition to get an idea of what we have to work with. Today we went over to the house to do our demo. We wanted to open up a few walls in some weird closets to see how much space we could get for a laundry room. After removing the paneling, we found a whole little ecosytem. Here are some examples of what we found:




I can't wait to culture these guys and identify them. Then I'll figure out if they are the toxic sort and whether or not to do some serious clean up. Hopefully the dreaded "Toxic Black Mold" is not a member of our little ecosystem. I will try to clean it up as well as I can, to minimize allergic reaction, but The ID of the bugs will determine how crazy I get with nasty ingredients. Obviously there has been some water in this area. You don't get this amount of mold in such a dry mountain environment without lots of water participation. I didn't get a picture of the worst part, which is the wall on the outside of the bathroom. Basically the shower was flowing through the area, we think. So, now we are going to redo bathroom #3. And we are also going to have the stairs completely re-framed. I'll try to get some pictures and see if I can explain the problem with them in a coherent fashion. If so, maybe I'll blog on it.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Sweet mold! I love the feathery things, those are quite pretty...
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Anonymous said...

I can tell you are a biologist... ;-)

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

~Jennifer