Sunday, November 19, 2006

At Home in Tahoe

Sorry I have, once again, neglected this blog. I've been very busy in lab, trying to make up for the time when I was sick and unproductive. I also have had some trouble with my new (Intel Core Duo) Macbook Pro. I totally screwed it up by using it for a while, and then migrating everything from my older powerbook. It destroyed my keychain, and the ability to have one, which really messed with my email. I ended up starting fresh, erasing the harddrive and re-installing OS X followed by an immediate migratiion of everything from the old computer. It works just fine now, thank goodness!

Saturday, I drove from Seattle to Lake Tahoe. I got a later start then I wanted, because I had been in lab until 10pm Friday night, and hadn't gotten as much done at home as I needed to. It was a nice drive, because there was no rain. I had dry roads the whole way. And I didn't have the monsters dogs with me. That meant no stops where I wrestle with them, trying to control both at the same time, or take one out, then the other. So, that helped. As soon as I got to I80, north of Sacramento, I went on auto pilot, feeling like I was almost home, and then I really was. At 2:30 am. I love it here no matter what the time, but I was very glad not to find the house invaded by a bear. That would have been a bit too much for me at 2:30am after driving 800+ miles. I awoke about 6:30am, and for some reason went to look out the window. I guess I just wanted to see my home in the daylight. It was on fire! The sky was anyway. Sunrise. So I went downstairs and out to the deck and took a picture so I could share it with you.

This is at my family's cabin, which doesn't have the lake view of our future home. I thought (for maybe a fraction of a picosecond) that I should walk the block down the hill to the lake and that I would get an amaizing shot. Instead, I went back to sleep.

Now, I don't mean to suggest that this is a standard sunrise around here, but I have enjoyed some really beautiful sunrises over The Lake. Seeing as I have always lived on the West Shore, we are prone to beautiful sunrises over the mountains rimming the east shore.

Note the owl on the corner of the deck. He (she?)is protecting the the house from woodpeckers. It hasn't done an outstanding job over the years. I think my dad keeps it as a tribute to his eternal struggle with the "peckers". It makes me smile as I think of the funny stories that come with his War on Peckers.

Today, we went to our house and looked around, talked about our plans, and walked the perimeter discussing the trees. I got to meet the neighbors across the street, and next door. Tim cut some trees down, but I will explain more about that in my next post. I need to snap some pictures.

Tim has scheduled me to meet with our general contractor tomorrow morning and again on Tuesday. He also wants me to meet with the mason and the civil engineer. I might also meet with the window guy, if the timing works out. Tim suggested I drive down to the the "Rock Garden" to look at all their stone products, and get closer to a design for the fireplace. That is in Truckee, a half hour away. On Tuesday, My family will be coming up for the Holiday. I'll see if there is any rest scheduled in there somewhere.

No comments: