Thursday, March 01, 2007

Truck

Well, the storms have past and we are in the process of digging out. I mean the collective "we" that encompasses the Lake Tahoe Area. Frankly, I'm done. But Cal Trans still has a way to go, in my opinion. The guys came to deliver sheet rock today, and one of the trucks got stuck on our street for 45 minutes (due to the snow) and didn't even deliver the rock. Or so I hear. We weren't there. We went to Truckee for some nice couple time at The Rock Garden where we looked at stone for flooring. We did a few other errands down there and started home. Just about halfway home, the truck started to act funny. It went downhill fast (and I don't mean mph) and just after we passed the stoplight at Squaw Valley, it died. It was kind of an adventure. For those who don't know the area, There is basically nothing between Truckee and Tahoe city except the Truckee River and Highway 89. There are no towns. There are turnoffs for two ski areas and some homes, but it is basically a road through a river canyon. OK, dead truck. No big deal... call AAA. I tried but had no signal on my cell phone. OK, dead cell phone. No big deal... I walked back to the entrance to Squaw and into Tahoe Dave's rental shop, where they kindly let me use their phone. AAA said that it could be as much as 1.5 hours for a tow truck! I walked back to Tim and played games on my cell phone took over truck duty while Tim hitch-hiked back to our place to get another car. We could have stayed together and then taken the bus or a taxi home from the mechanic in Tahoe City, except that Denver was in the back of the truck. We didn't think any of our transportation options would accept dogs. After 3 rides, Tim got home, grabbed a car, and picked us up. We'll find out about the truck tomorrow.

1 comment:

Emily said...

What a debacle - glad you made it home eventually!