Saturday, March 10, 2007

Fireplace is done...

but not exactly functional. Well, you could build a fire in it, but very little smoke would make it out the chimney. Fireplace and chimney are not yet connected. Anyway, it looks pretty cool, doesn't it? And it is big. The opening is 4ft square. I can't even see the top surface of the mantle.
There is more subtle information in this picture as well. The walls are all covered with sheetrock. In fact, we passed our drywall inspection while I was there yesterday. Now they tape it and fill in spots, and then put on the smooth texture. After that comes paint. I think I heard a rumor that our cabinets are coming next week. We got our kitchen bathtub sink this week. I wanted one big sink, none of that divided business. Well, that's what I got, all right. It is huge. I am still going back and forth on the floor for the kitchen/greatroom. We are going with stone, for sure, but the exact type is the big question. Quartzite is the most durable and least expensive, but I am having trouble with the bling factor. There are shiny, metallic veins in the stone, which I can't quite picture in my living room. I like the look of flagstone, but it is much darker and will change the feel of the room. I guess I just have to make up my mind about the look of the room.

No comments: