Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Trying to get this going again

If anyone even checks this blog anymore, I am going to try and get it going again. September and October were difficult months for me, and then in November, I was so embarrassed about the long dearth of posts, that I put off dealing with it.

Basically, I have been spending a lot of time working on the paper/thesis. In order to focus on it, I have denied myself most fun activities. Without fun activities, I don't have anything interesting to blog about. You would think that the paper/thesis and defense would be done by now (I did), but unfortunately, they aren't (which is rather depressing). My adviser does not seem to be in any hurry at all. He has caused quite a bit of delay as he changes his mind about the discussion section and how to analyze the data. Most recently, I have been the cause of delay, having come down with a terrible cold on my last trip to Seattle and having to come home early. I'm still recuperating, although I head back up to Seattle tomorrow. I have been going up to Seattle every few weeks and staying 3-6 days at a time. Someday, this thing will be finished. My blogging will probably not be that frequent until I finish the PhD. I will, however, try to post regularly. I do let myself do fun things sometimes, so there are some things to post on, other than my science writing.

The long slow writing process has been pretty depressing and hard on me, so I have been trying to include more fun in my life. I have been doing a bit of knitting, for example and some natural dyeing. I currently have 4 knitting projects on the needles:
2 are Christmas gifts, and they are halfway completed, and that's all you get to know about them.
1 is a simple pair of socks in lightweight STR which are a good traveling project for the plane flights
And there is the lizard ridge blanket that I started this summer. That has been on hold ever since Jack decided to get out the skeins of yarn and play with them. I had to move the project basket out of the living room, so it isn't very handy anymore and I need to clean the blond hairs of the skeins.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

welcome back honey. I hope that balancing your heavy work load with some rewarding 'mental health holiday' activities helps you restore some healthy balance.